Tuesday, July 27, 2010

a BABYSITTING day in the life of me...

So, I'm currently at a friend's house in SLC babysitting her 14 month old for a few hours while she is at work this morning. So far no catastrophe has happened :-) I managed to feed her breakfast, clean her off, do the dishes, clean her high chair, watch her play with toys while doing that, change a MESSY diaper, read her about 2o books and sing EVERY single song I could remember from my childhood within the last hour and 40 minutes. Wow! Mom's are amazing people. Unfortunately this little one has a runny nose and was falling asleep with the last verse of "Old MacDonald's Farm." I'm going with the thought that it was the fact she was tired, not my singing that was yielding her unconscious. Off to bed she went and very happy she was to lay down.
As I'm sitting on her parent's couch, procrastinating studying for an upcoming exam on Saturday, I'm pondering the blessing and opportunity of motherhood. I have heard so many stories recently about mother's losing their babies months into the pregnancy, mother's having to go in for 3-4 surgeries after delivering because everything wasn't going just right, and stories of mother's who love their children so much and want what's best for them that they are overhauling their own life to guarantee a better one for their children. It continues to amaze me when I think of the strength, dedication and faith a woman has in deciding to become a mother.
My mother is one of the BEST women I have ever had the pleasure of associating with. I am so grateful that she is mine and will be right beside me when I venture into the world of being a mother and will guide me with her years of experience and the wisdom that brings.
Mom's - here's to you!

Now, as we know mother's are wonderful blessings in our life. However, we can't forget our FATHER'S. I don't think that they get nearly the credit that they deserve. My friend and I were talking about this very thing right before she went to work this morning. Dad's: provider, loving, leader of the family, priesthood, able to have his little pinky wrapped (perhaps by all his children), feelings, love, dreams, etc. Let's not forget that husband's and dad's feel the pain, happiness, sorrow, joy and love as well.
Dad's - here's to you too!

1 comment:

  1. truly, being a mother is the greatest blessing in the world!!! i also love being an aunt and i love my friends kids as well. i loved your post!
    Meg :)

    ReplyDelete