Sunday, August 1, 2010

a PRAYERFUL day in the life of me...

As many of you know yesterday I took a national test called the PRAXIS. This is a test that all teachers are required to take. There is a version of the PRAXIS to fit each area of teaching. I have taken the History and the Elementary Education Content Knowledge tests and passed both of them successfully :-) Yesterday was the day that I took the Middle School English and Language Arts test. This will make me "highly qualified" and therefore certified to teach my English classes next year (okay really in 3 weeks). According to the federal regulations if one doesn't pass the PRAXIS exam in his/her content area one is NOT allowed to teach (NCLB). - translation = I would lose my job.
AHHHHHHHHH! Can anyone say stress?!
Anyway I dedicated quite a bit of my summer to studying for this test (I studied on a houseboat on Lake Powell because I was so determined to pass). This past week of my life has been an immensely stressful one for me.

It included:
hours of studying
two breakdowns - lots and Lots and LOTS of tears
a blessing from my father
reassuring talks from my mother, siblings, friends, etc
contemplation about what I really am supposed to be doing with my life
contemplation of what God wants me to be doing
contemplation on my role as a teacher
etc

I am so grateful to my Heavenly Father and His willingness to answer PRAYERS! After my dad gave me a Father's Blessing, I immediately became calm. I love how the power of the priesthood has IMMEDIATE results. Well that happened on Thursday night. Saturday morning I woke up to my roommate making me breakfast (5:30am!!!). 6:45am was walking up to BYU campus, 10:40am was walking home. A tender mercy happened in the testing center room. I looked up and found a big picture of Christ smiling down on me. It was so wonderful to actually feel all the people in my life PRAYING FOR ME right then. Wow! I am so grateful for the power of prayer.
I won't know the results for 4 weeks, but that is okay. What I do know is that God answers prayers and I was not alone in that testing center for one minute during that test.

2 comments:

  1. wow!! that is stressful! but i know you did amazing on it!! i am geting ready for dance,so excited to start up again, but its been so nice to have a break! i think she starts regular times again at the first of december. now i just need to find out where she is at, if she's still at the gas station or somehwere else! can't wait to see you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ok, not december, Septmeber!!lol!;)

    ReplyDelete