Wednesday, August 4, 2010

a GOOD BOOK day in the life of me...


Okay, my darling friend Jill recommended this book to me,
The Total Money Makeover by Dave Ramsey.

I'm not going to lie. I checked it out from the library two weeks ago and just really didn't devote much time to it: studying for test, dates, white water rafting, Lake Powell, etc. Can you blame me? Well last night I realized that I was only 74 pages in and it was due at the library on the 5th. Ugh. Okay, it was time to dig in and just READ. (thankfully I can do that) 153 pages and many a-ha moments later, I was done. Seriously, this man is not a "get rich quick schemer." He just spoke of honest principles and how to make your money work for me. He didn't try and tell me which mutual fund to invest in, just the types that have the best history. He didn't try and tell me how much money I should make a year to be wealthy, he told me to work with the money that I have and use my income to my advantage; to have my money work for me, instead of me working for it!
Wow! I feel so much smarter already :-)
He talks about baby steps. I'm going to list them, but for you to fully understand them - READ THE BOOK

1: Save $1000 in cash
2: Debt Snowball
3: Finish the emergency fund
4: Invest 15% of your income
5: College fund
6: Pay off home mortgage
7: Build wealth

I love the practical side of this book almost as much as I love the spiritual side of this book. He's Christian and admits it many times in the book. He talks a lot about how God commands that we have no other gods before Him. Money is not to be a god. It's to be a tool that we can use to better our life and the lives of those around us.
HUGE SHOUT OUT TO DAVE RAMSEY!! (and Jill for having me read the book)

No comments:

Post a Comment