Wednesday, April 20, 2011

a THURSDAY IN SEATTLE day in the life of me...

1 hour ride to Salt Lake City

1 hour to get through check-in and security at the airport

2 hours and 4 minutes flight to Seattle, WA

1 awesome weekend!!

7pm my flight lands in a city I’ve never been to before, but one I know that I will become very familiar with over the next three days. I make my way down the winding corridors to baggage claim. Buzz. My phone goes off. It’s my friend Ken telling me that he’s there and to call him when I’ve got my bag. Standing at the carousel, standing, standing. “Attention passengers from Salt Lake City. They moved your luggage to carousel 11.” Oops – another short walk later and … there is my bag! Oh wait. It’s heavy. OK. I’ll just ask nice man next to me to pick it up. Smooth sailing from here. Out side I go, calling Ken as I walk. I explain where I am, he’s coming to get me. Oh wait. It’s FREEZING out here. What the heck?! Am I not on spring break? Oh wait; it’s Seattle.

Here comes a car that I know. OK. Maybe it’s not him, no I really think it is, maybe? Oh it is! OK. Stay calm. No need to get all excited until he’s out of his car. After all there are many people around you and what good would that do to freak out right now?! None. He’s out of the car, walking towards and yep … there’s the hug! I’m here.

He opens the car. I get in. He loads my bag and then, with an unsure voice says, “Shell. The name on your luggage isn’t yours.” Oh right. Yeah it’s my roommates bag. (so never fear. I would not have left the airport with the wrong bag!)

Off we go to Seattle. He decides to take the scenic route – through industrial Seattle so that I get a chance to see the city. How thoughtful! I LOVE it. I love everything about it. The buildings, the industry, the ocean, the docks, the sunset, the conversation, the music, the spaz moment (that was done by me) … all of it.

Ken fills me in on Seattle information, work, where I’ll be staying, where we’re going to dinner, parts of Seattle to AVOID, etc. As we wind through hills, streets, corners, etc I find myself incredibly grateful that I’m not driving. I learn that I’m going to be staying with Stephanie for the next three days. The more I hear about her the more excited I am to meet her. In fact, she was so darling and gave Ken a key so in case she wasn’t home, we could get in.

However, first things first. FOOD! Red Mill Burgers. They were so fresh and so good; however my BBQ was a little too good. Within seconds after my first bite I had a delicious stream of BBQ sauce streaming down my hand. I told Ken it felt like warm honey; however I quickly realized that molasses was a better descriptor. Can’t you just see that lovely milky brown ooze :-)

Ken doesn’t like pickles – I do. Quickly taking them off of his burger, I put them on mine. Yum!

OK. Full belly. Next = place to sleep? No. Photo shoot – I think he’s pretty good at this!



Now it’s time for a place to sleep.

Driving a little less than a block I find myself staring at a darling, white apartment. The light’s on. Is she home? Ken begins to unlock the door and quickly realizes that she is there.

Step over the threshold into warmth, light and hugs. It is all delight and welcome. Ken takes my luggage upstairs as I get the tour of her bathroom and bedroom. Silkscreen of flowers hangs on the wall above her toilet – it’s charming – handmade. I’m going to like it here.

We join the men upstairs – her boyfriend Christian.

Two hours of laughing, reliving moments from the 80s, 90s and now, planning out my Friday in Seattle, talking cameras, movies, talking sleep … yep. talking sleep. Another quick hug and Ken is gone. I’ll be by myself until 3pm tomorrow so I’d better get some shut-eye if I’m to tackle the city!

No comments:

Post a Comment