Wednesday, April 20, 2011

a FRIDAY IN SEATTLE day in the life of me...

Alarm ringing. Why? Oh right. Must run. Training for a half marathon isn’t easy, but will be worth it. OK. Must be quiet. Don’t wake up Stephanie. Take phone? Yes.

Walk down one street and encounter a San Francisco hill – yep I’m on the right street. OK, quick walk to the lake and then a good hour run. Here I go.

Why is my phone going off so much?! Oh wait. It’s my birthday!!! 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 “happy birthday” text messages – loving this run. How many times have I been around this lake? No idea. Buzz, buzz, buzz – dad’s calling! He’s mildly alarmed that I’m answering my phone completely out of breath. Quickly reassure that I’m fine and just out for a beautiful morning run before heading into the city. He tells me HAPPY BIRTHDAY and how much he loves me. Off to my run again. Wait. I see 65th street. Cross street, run up hill – literally up. This isn’t right. It can’t be. Call Ken – sets me right. Off around the lake I go again. Correct street. Run up – wait … can’t r.u.n. u.p. ---- ugh. Stupid hill.

Shower. Breakfast. Purse check. Key check. Gone. Bus driver so helpful. 3rd and Pike – wow that was fast. OK. Here I go. 30 minutes spent just walking around. Familiarizing myself with the city that is going to be my friend for the next few hours. OK. Let’s go see something. To the Seattle Art Museum. Out comes my phone and the handy navigation system. Sight to see: me, head pouring over phone, checking street signs, looking up, checking street signs, pouring over phone. Found it. Delighted by it.



To the water front. Walk. Up hill. Walk. Down hill. Walk. Up hill. Walk. Down hill. Walk. Up hill. Walk. Down hill. Seattle is built on hills – only.

RAIN!! Popped into Borders. Dang it. :-) 30 minute conversation with Emily.


Walk. Up hill. Walk. Down hill. Walk. Up hill. Walk. Down hill. Walk. Up hill. Walk. Down hill. First hill – um, maybe shouldn’t be here. Turn around.


2pm – feet exhausted. Look here – Barnes and Nobles. Stopped to rest. 2:45pm Ken honking on 7th and Pike. Jump in car and we’re off.

Walk. Up hill. Walk. Down hill. Walk. Up hill. Walk. Down hill.

Old Curiosity Shop – seriously weird. Mummified Merman. Skeletons, whale bones, octopus, spiders, knick knacks, slap wrist watches – hello childhood, sharks, swords

Walk up hill

Seattle Public Library - wow! Enter. Head to escalator. Up and up and up. Floors 7 through 10 are literally a spiral. You just keep walking and you get higher and higher. Awesome architecture. Floor 10 – look over gated ledge and experience vertigo. Ken not loving it. Quick picture and head down in elevator. Floor 4 – red floor. So worth seeing.





Smith Tower

Park – love the view of Seattle.



Confession to Ken – feet DEAD three hours ago.

Off we head to meet with up Stephanie and Christian for my birthday dinner. Crepes are the menu – what?! The restaurant is closed until 8pm for a private event. Well never mind. Drop off Christian’s BMW 2002 at the mechanics and head for Indian – yum!

Fun stories: craziest place traveled, craziest thing eaten, missions, Europe, South America. Loving it. Laughing hard. Quick pics and then head back to Ken’s place.


Movie time, story time, article on French catacombs, foot rub, more stories, laugher, more stories, back popping 25 times, more stories. 1am – must go back to Stephanie’s.

Saturday is going to be another busy day!! Bring it.

1 comment:

  1. That's what you get for not telling the truth. ;) I'm impressed at your memory for details.

    ReplyDelete