Wednesday, May 25, 2011

a MIXED FEELINGS day in the life of me...

Today is the day before graduation. I had many students come into my classroom today and ask me to sign their year book. As I was signing a happy "Hope you enjoy your summer. You were a graet student. Keep up the good work." message I began to miss my students ... and they weren't even gone yet.
It's bizarre how these human beings could drive me out of my mind at times, almost driving me to tears of anguish (forget the almost) and then other times they were making me laugh so hard that tears actually did come out! Now they are going to go away for the next 2 1/2 months of my life. Wow! In fact, some are actually going to graduate and move on with their life. WOW!
One student came in to thank me today for being such a great teacher, this that and the other and I seriously almost lost it. Instead of withering away into a weepy mass, I made some light hearted joke so that we would both have to smile and as he walked out of my classroom I realized I was really going to miss him.

We are definitely on this planet, together, for a reason. We are meant to form friendships, relationships, and help each other out. It's not healthy to stay in a little bubble and guard yourself with walls and defences, just because you think you're going to get hurt - news flash - EVERYONE DOES!!!
I truly have come to love my students and all their quirks and craziness that they bring with them. This has been a roller-coaster of a year, but I am happy to say that I have come through a stronger person and have allowed myself to be changed and schooled by so many wonderful children of God.
Here's to you class of 2011 - I'll miss you.

No comments:

Post a Comment